[cma-l] Cash for community groups as England coach backs weeks of action

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 11:11:50 BST 2008

Fwd:

Kick It Out and the Football Foundation are joining forces this summer
to award a series of grants to groups who wish use sport to tackle
discrimination and exclusion.

In a scheme endorsed by England coach Fabio Capello, the One Game, One
Community grants will enable groups to use football to help tackle
social exclusion.

The grants offer a cash sum of up to £1K and are being made available
to groups across Britain as part of the forthcoming 'One Game, One
Community' weeks of action.

Organisations such as community and grassroots football groups,
schools and tenants associations can apply for work with groups such
as young people, ethnic minorities, football fans, estates-based
projects, gypsies and travellers, and refugees and asylum seekers.

The week of action will take place between the 16th and 28th October
in a unique coming together of professional football, the grassroots
game and community groups in a celebration of the contribution made to
football by ethnic minorities and other groups often on the margins.

Kick It Out Director Piara Powar is urging groups to be creative in
their approach when applying for a grant,

"There are a many ways in which this funding can be used. In the past,
we've supported drama productions, youth forums, photography projects,
educational programmes and themed football tournaments.

"The weeks of action provide an opportunity to celebrate the range of
work that takes place in community settings across the UK. We
particularly want to hear from individuals who have ideas about
reaching groups that might otherwise get left out."

England coach Fabio Capello commented,

''The One Game, One Community weeks of action, for me, epitomises all
that is good about football.

''Diversity, inclusion, harmony and respect. Our ability to break
boundaries should never be underestimated.''

- ends -

For full information on how to apply for a grant click and information
about the 'One Game, One Game Community' please visit
http://www.kickitout.org or call Danny Lynch on 0207 684 4884