[cma-l] Media Guardian: Cut local shows, say radio giants

matt at freshwatford.com matt at freshwatford.com
Fri Oct 26 11:11:12 BST 2007

My view on this is very simple. Either they make the stations proper 'local' stations or just bite the bullet and go for a proper 'national' station.

I feel the authorities from day one should have created more national licences and perhaps more regionals instead of all these town wide commercial stations. That way you could have more listener choice (i.e. one oldies, one pop, one soul, one rock format etc) and the regionals would cater for the local needs of each region (much like ITV), then fill the rest in with each region having it's own BBC Local station and towns with their own community licences (where you could have a couple of community stations maybe).

As for talent in media now. It is just too easy. Even when I was younger there was a ladder to climb if you wanted to be a presenter on air and I looked up to presenters even on local stations as they were talented and good, but now you just have a crowd of people with no life experience being put straight on air and I feel it is that which has brought the 'quality' of talent down, alongside real talent being driven away due to heavy formatted stations.

They should in my opinion not have bothered with a second tier commercial radio system as very few stations make money - in time I can see more licences being handed back, which in turn should have been community licences in the first place?

Your thoughts?

Matt (Fresh Watford)

Listen 2 FreestyleRadio.co.uk