[cma-l] reading children's stories

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue Oct 16 11:38:31 BST 2007

Hi Anna

Thanks for your email.

I've been in touch with PPL (Phonographic Performance Ltd) and PLS
(Publishers Licensing Society) who advised to contact ACLS (the Authors’
Licensing and Collecting Society).

ACLS advise that no copyright restrictions apply to an author's work
where the author died more than 70 years ago.  With more recent works
then permission to use the work must be obtained through one of the
following organisations:

Society of Authors - http://www.societyofauthors.net/
The Writer's Guild - http://www.writersguild.org.uk/
ACLS - http://www.acls.co.uk/

The Society of Authors is the largest organisation.

I have suggested to ACLS that we develop a blanket licence for community
radio readings but it is very early days for them to consider this.

A quick Google for "copyright free children's stories" brings up these
results:  http://ln-s.net/13Iz

And a quick search for "Creative Commons children's stories" brings up
these results: http://ln-s.net/13J1

We'll keep working on presenting the sector's case to the above
institutions but for the time being I hope this advice helps.

Best regards

Bill