[cma-l] Message to list from Peter Lewis, London Met

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Thu Nov 29 09:46:00 GMT 2007

Hi listers

Remember hearing about the international colloquium we ran at London
Metropolitan in September- Finding and Funding Voices? (Report coming
soon - watch www.communitymedia.eu). Some of us got a letter published
shortly afterwards in the Guardian on behalf of an exasperated and
frustrated sector wanting to see more funding made available
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,,2176972,00.html#article_continue
https://exchange.lse.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://exchange.lse.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,,2176972,00.html%2523article_continue>

And here's what some of you said at the colloquium:

We need to get in front of Gordon Brown and the questions are very, very
simple.
What would you pay to keep hundreds of lads from joining armed gangs? What
would you pay to help thousands of new UK residents to effectively learn
English?
What would you pay to lessen spending on prescription drugs for
depression? What
would you pay to keep thousands of children from truanting? That's only the
beginning of the list. Those questions need to be put in front of the
people who
make the decisions.
Phil Korbel

[The Community Radio Fund] is becoming a joke. It would continue clearly
to be a joke, but a very bad one for our sector, if the agreement for
the future continues to pitch it at a level per year that is less than
the average salary for a year of a breakfast DJ on Radio 1. Ofcom's been
very vocal on the case for a £700m public service publisher but it's
been rather quiet on this question and it's important.
Steve Buckley

We are being too quiet and passive, hoping that people will give us some
money. We
need to start being more politically active.
Shiraz Durrani

Unless you ask right to the top, you are not going to get anything. My
opinion is: go to the PM, and formulate a good plan, a good
presentation, with some other stakeholders to support.
Patrick Atagana

It won't be me who changes a minister's mind, whatever you believe from Yes
Minister, it will be you guys. It will be you, your MPs, your MEPs, it
will be the
people in the corridors of power.
John Mottram

Now read
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2007-10-29a.621.0&s=community+radio#g624.0
<https://exchange.lse.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2007-10-29a.621.0%26s=community%2Bradio%23g624.0>

This reports Gerry Sutcliffe's (Parliamentary Under-Secretary for DCMS)
announcement in the Adjournment Debate on October 29 that the Community
Radio Fund is to remain UNCHANGED for the next three years. He added "I
hope that's good news."

I don't think so. Why has no one noticed this? What are we going to do
about it?

Peter Lewis

Senior Lecturer in Community Media
London Metropolitan University

Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
communications disclaimer:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/secretariat/legal/disclaimer.htm

--
Jaqui Devereux

Acting Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities