[cma-l] Valuing Volunteer Time

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Thu Nov 22 14:14:26 GMT 2007

Dear all

You will be pleased to know that some of our CMA hard work behind the
scenes might now come to fruition!

Ofcom's latest response to the Future of Radio consultations includes a
recommendation that, where appropriate and only where properly
measurable, volunteer in kind time be used as part of the "income mix"
for community radio stations.  If this recommendation is accepted,  it
will not be compulsory for stations to measure this, and there would be
some restrictions in terms of the percentage of income to be included
from volunteer time (50% volunteer time and 50% on air
advertising/sponsorship would not be allowable, for example).   These
restrictions would be in place in order to preserve the distinctive
nature of community radio, for social gain/community benefit.

For fuller details of the recommendations please go to:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/futureradio07/

The CMA will be having discussions with Ofcom on how this recommendation
could work in practice, and what you would need to do to evidence and
value such time.  We would welcome your thoughts on this, also examples
to go with what we already have on other funders' regimes for measuring
in kind time.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Jaqui

--
Jaqui Devereux

Acting Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities