[cma-l] Charges for Transmitter Siting

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Dec 19 16:45:23 GMT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: "Ian Hickling" <transplanfm at hotmail.com>

I replied direct to Ian Perry earlier, but I'll copy what I wrote to
the full List.  The same offer all applies to anyone in this
situation!

\\

Hi Ian

This is a huge pint of conjecture.

We've been involved in this for some years and there are too many
aspects to go over in messaging.

I'd be delighted to discuss this with you by phone if it helps.

The overall aim should be to get good facilities for very little - or
preferably for nothing.

We've achieved this with loads of RSLs and quite a few CR projects now
- and several others are in work.

I'll come up and see you if need be - easier to talk face to face.
Only too pleased to help if we can - no charge!

And we do supply and install studio and transmission equipment as well
- have done for 8 years.

Ian Hickling
Transmission Director
transplan UK
016 3557 8435

To elaborate on what Steven wrote - the formality of notifying the GMS
operators on site is to ensure that your electronic equipment and
antennas do not in any way inhibit their operations.

In the normal way, if there are existing systems on site, Planning
should not be required, and I feel it's a little draconian of your
Council to charge for that when it doesn't intend to charge you a
conventional rental.

Risk assessments are simply a matter of providing an individual
submission based on a standard template. and assuming that there was
already power in place to feed the GSM operators, it's surprising that
you had to pay for your own.

The strategy we employ is to play the Community card very heavily and
point out to all concerned that they are supporting a community
project which has a low income and by its constitution cannot be a
profit source.

Ian Hickling