[cma-l] DAB or bust

Javed Sattar javed at awazfm.co.uk
Sat Dec 15 08:23:12 GMT 2007

Hi All

Like Karl I would have to agree what the F' is going on this...! Last year
buzz word was DRM...and looks like France is way ahead of the UK.
I know many of our listeners and further out of our broadcast area people
ask why Awaz FM isn't getting to them. The usual answer follows along with
those still surprised... 'Oh...so your not getting on Satellite and not on
Digital Radio'

Anyway...

I think in terms of community radio...I have to agree with a few and most
likely the commercial sector...Move all BBC services onto Digital platform
if the government in Westminster is serious about DAB, and give back FM to
local radio to those who for some are left disappointed on not getting a
frequency.
I made this request to our local MP to direct this to First Minister Alex
Salmond as this is currently something he is interested in as part of his
government policy.

So in March we here in Scotland are planning to first ask for some funds to
this sector and two if it is still a talking subject request the government
to seriously look at Digital Radio in the future and where will Scotland's
place be?
So it is refreshing to know that France has taken a lead on this which I am
sure SNP government would most likely take a serious note.

Javed Sattar
Project Manager
T: 07785 566898
E: javed at awazfm.co.uk