[cma-l] FW: Ofcom publishes statement on the Digital Dividend Review

Shawn Sobers Shawn.Sobers at uwe.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 12:16:39 GMT 2007

This is disappointing!

See point 1.47 of the full statement:

"We have considered arguments made by some local television operators
and community media organisations for intervening more extensively, to
reserve spectrum exclusively for local television and to award it by
beauty contest. We have concluded that further intervention is not
justified. It would have a high opportunity cost, displacing other
potential users who could also generate high value for society. It would
not ensure that local television is economically viable, and it would
reduce incentives to use spectrum efficiently. We also think that other
delivery mechanisms, such as broadband, might be an attractive
alternative for delivering social goals."

Shawn Sobers
Firstborn Creatives