[cma-l] Libel insurance for radio stations

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Sat Aug 18 18:49:14 BST 2007

I would echo Ollys comments on this. We always drill our students on the
basics of law before they go on the air, so they know what they can and
cannot do and this really works. It should be something that anyone
involved in the output of the station has to go through before being
allowed anywhere near a microphone. Of course, backers and funders not
used to radio may ask about things like this but proper training is one
solution and for what you might spend on insurance you could fit the
flashest delay system available with a dump button on the bosses desk..
much more reassuring!

Cheers
Rich @ Utopia

Richard Berry
Senior Lecturer in Radio and Community Radio Manager
Admissions Tutor: Media Production (TV/Radio) and Broadcast Journalism
The Media Centre, University of Sunderland, SR6 0DD. Call:
+44 (0)191 515 2239 Text: "studyradio" to 83252 (costs 25p)
My Web: http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/radio
Join: http://www.radiostudiesnetwork.org.uk
I've read: http://del.icio.us/richardberry
My Music: http://www.last.fm/user/richard-berry